Skip to main content

Five-Year BS/MHA

This program is open to current Cornell undergraduate students. 

This five-year accelerated program is open to a maximum of five Cornell undergraduate students per year in certain disciplines. In the Brooks School, the accelerated program is open to students majoring in Public Policy and Health Care Policy. In the College of Human Ecology, the accelerated program is open to students majoring in Human Biology, Health, and Society and Human Development.

You may apply to the accelerated program during your junior year, but only after completing all required courses for both your major and your College.

During your senior year, you would attend Sloan orientation and complete first-year Sloan courses, which are double counted, to satisfy both undergraduate elective requirements as well as MHA graduate requirements.

At the end of your senior year, you would graduate with a bachelor’s degree in your undergraduate major. During the spring of your senior year, you would be required to file a formal online graduate school application. If your performance satisfies criteria for satisfactory academic progress in the Sloan Program, you would be automatically notified during the spring semester of senior year of your acceptance to the Graduate School for the MHA.

You would be required to participate in a graduate-level health administration internship during the summer before entering the graduate program. The following year, as a graduate student, you would complete the second year of required Sloan courses and earn a Master of Health Administration degree.

Students often ask:


What degrees will I end up with if I become a 5-year Bachelors/MHA student?

At the end of your four undergraduate years (the senior year taking Sloan graduate courses) you will have a Bachelors degree. At the end of the fifth year (the second year of Sloan graduate courses and the first year as an enrollee in the Cornell Graduate School) you will have a Master of Health Administration.

At what point should I apply to the program?

Although you would not formally apply until your junior year, you should begin a conversation with your advisor in the Brooks School Office of Enrollment and Student Services in your first or second year to ensure that you are on track with your required coursework to be eligible for the 5-year program. Additionally, you can connect with the Sloan MHA program to discuss course selection with you to enhance your readiness and competitiveness for the program. In your junior year, for full consideration you should apply by March 15th. (After March 15th applications will be considered subject to space availability. Note, however, that the total number of spaces in the Accelerated program is limited to a maximum of 5 students).

When would I apply to the Cornell Graduate School?

You would apply to the Graduate School in your senior year. (The application is online and the deadline is April 15th.).

Do I need to provide a new application materials to the Graduate School application or can I use the material submitted with the Bachelors/MHA application?

You will not need to resubmit all your application materials with your Graduate School application. We will use the material submitted with your Bachelor/MHA Application.

Do I have to take the GRE or GMAT exam to apply for the Accelerated program?

No, all graduate examinations (e.g., GRE or GMAT) are completely optional.

What level of academic performance is required for admission to the Graduate School as an Accelerated Program student?

You must meet Sloan standards for satisfactory academic progress, which require: a) grades of B- or above in all required Sloan core courses; and b) an overall grade point average of 3.0 or better (B average or better).

Is there an internship/residency required for the MHA?

Yes, there is a 10-week internship/residency requirement between the senior year and the Graduate school year.

What if I am in the 5-year program and have not maintained a 3.0 or better GPA?

If you have a GPA below 3.0 and/or a core course grade below B- in your first semester, you have a semester left prior to graduate school to bring your GPA up to a 3.0 and/or retake any course in which you have received less than a B-. In any event, as long as you meet requirements for your undergraduate degree, you can still finish out your senior year and graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree.

The MHA portion of the BS/MHA program is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Health Management Education (CAHME). The Bachelor portion of the BS/MHA program is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.