Skip to main content

Brooks Ready


Digital swag squares saying #BrooksReady
Share the news with your #BrooksReady digital swag!

Congratulations on your admission to the Cornell Jeb E. Brooks School of Public Policy. As you get ready to join the Brooks community, tell the world.

Download your digital swag to begin celebrating with us on social media or via CU on the Hill! Use the hashtag #BrooksReady to start connecting with your future classmates.

Download your swag here!


Course Enrollment

The next step to be #BrooksReady is to select your fall 2023 classes!  New student course  pre-enrollment will take place July 17th 12:00 PM (Eastern) through July 20th 4:00PM (Eastern). Below is important information on what you should take as a new student at the Brooks School.

First, to ensure you do not miss anything important, be sure to activate your Cornell netid as soon as possible! 


All first year students must take the following in their first semester:

  • PUBPOL 1111 Building Success at Brooks (1 credit)
    This first year advising course will give you the opportunity to meet other Brooks School students and learn how to successfully utilize the resources available here at Cornell. We will auto-enroll you in PUBPOL 1111.
  • At least one PUBPOL course (3 credits)
    To get a start on your public policy studies all new Brooks School students should take at least one 3 credit public policy course. Transfer students must take at least 6 credits of PUBPOL coursework.  Be sure to check the prerequisites listed on the course description to verify you have completed prior coursework necessary to join the class.

  • A first year writing seminar (3 credits) 
    Look for any course with an FWS code.  All students must complete the first year writing seminar requirement within their first two semesters.  Even if you receive AP/IB credit for an FWS, it is recommended you take one in this first term.  You need to enroll yourself in an FWS during the pre-enroll period.
  • ECON 1110 Introduction to Microeconomics (3 credits) 
    Many of your courses will build upon concepts taught in microeconomics. Thus it is important you take this course during your first semester.  If you received a 5 on the AP microeconomics exam or a 7 on the IB microeconomics HL exam, you may be able to waive this course. Please connect with an advisor to see what is right for you. You need to enroll yourself in ECON 1110 during the pre-enroll period.  ECON 1001 Principles of Microeconomics Supplement is recommended to support your work in ECON 1110.


Additional Coursework:

To reach the recommended 15 credits you are encouraged to select additional courses that will meet your major requirements.  Here are a few ideas depending on your major and goals.

  • Pre-med/pre-health students need to take CHEM 2070 General Chemistry I
    Completing CHEM 2070 will keep you on track with the pre-med/pre-health chemistry requirements.  CHEM 1007 Academic Support for CHEM 2070 is recommended for those in CHEM 2070.
  • Public Policy Majors are encouraged to take a language course (3-4  Credits)
    Public Policy majors are encouraged to complete the language requirement within their first year at Cornell. You can choose any non-English language course.  Browse the language page on the courses of study to see the different options available and learn more about language placement exams that will be available in the fall. Placement exams will not meet your language requirement, but will allow you to enroll in the appropriate course for your current skill set. If you are new to the language the placement test is not required, simply enroll in the introductory course.

Transfer Students:

As a transfer student you entered the Brooks School with a unique history of experiences that will be incredibly valuable to your upcoming education.  Given that your transfer coursework gave you a jump start on some of the Brooks School requirements, you are strongly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor to discuss your own unique schedule and how to remain on track in course sequencing.  To schedule an appointment go to the Cornell Chatter page, select Brooks Office of Enrollment and Student Services, and then select transfer advising.

In general, you should: 

  • Enroll in at least 12 academic credits (PE and Support courses do not count as academic credits)
  • Take a first year writing seminar if you have not completed the requirement with your transfer coursework. The first year seminar must be completed as soon as possible to remain in good academic standing.
  • Take ECON 1110 Introduction to Microeconomics and/or PUBPOL 2101 Introduction to Statistics, if you have not already. These are important prerequisites necessary to stay on track with degree requirements.
  • Take at least 6 credits of PUBPOL (Public Policy) coursework. Brooks School transfer students are required to take 6 credits of PUBPOL coursework in each of their first two semesters to remain in good academic standing.

Take other courses that meet your Brooks School degree requirements


How do I enroll in classes?

You can enroll in classes via student center, during the open pre-enrollment period between July 17, 2023 and July 20, 2023. Rest assured, you will also have a chance to adjust your schedule during orientation, if needed. Directions on how to use student center can be found on the registrar’s website.

Where can I browse classes?

You can view the current class schedule at

How many credits should I take this fall?

Each credit is equivalent to about 3-4 hours of work per week. Students typically enroll in 15 academic credits per semester.  Academic credits do not include PE courses or supplemental courses (E.g. ECON 1001).  This is a 45-60 hour work week. Completing 15 credits per semester will result in 120 credits in eight semesters, which is required for graduation. In order to maintain full-time status  students must enroll in at least 12 credits. New students are not permitted to enroll in more than 18 academic credits.

Where can I view my degree requirements?

The curriculum sheet for your major will list all the requirements you must complete in order to complete your degree.

How will I know if my AP/IB credits were accepted?

You can learn more about how your credits will be applied through our advising page.

How can I learn more about pre-med or pre-health advising at Cornell?

If you are thinking about completing the pre-health or pre-med track of coursework, it is important to take CHEM 2070 this fall.  You should also join the Pre-Health Newsletter email list for important advising updates.  There will be optional summer 2023 pre-health zoom sessions for new students on July 6, 11AM -1PM EST, July 11th 3PM – 5PM EST and July 12th 4:30-6:30PM EST.

How can I learn more about pre-law advising at Cornell?

Unlike the pre-health/pre-med track there is no specific sequence of coursework necessary for pre-law students. If you are considering law school you are encouraged to first focus on challenging yourself in the Brooks School coursework as advised above. Once you are here and established at Cornell, you can begin exploring the wealth of pre-law opportunities and resources available through career services and the Brooks School, such as our State Policy Advocacy Clinic, which is available in your junior or senior year!

What is the difference between PAM and PUBPOL courses?

Over the summer of 2023 we are updating our systems to discontinue the PAM code and update accordingly to the new PUBPOL code. There is no difference between courses coded as PAM and PUBPOL. While we complete this transition, you may see references to both course codes.  Any course that was a PAM course, will have the same number under the new PUBPOL code.

Who is my advisor? When and how can I meet with my advisor?

Advising at the Brooks School is done by a team of professional staff in the Brooks Office of Enrollment and Student Services. Professional staff advisors are available to help you with specific advising questions including academic policies and procedures, credit requirements, degree requirements, course sequencing, petitions, transfer credit, study abroad, career planning, minor selection, exploring change of major, and personal coaching. Professional staff advisors will also serve as liaisons with other university offices and provide referral services to offices such as Student Disability Services, the Learning Strategies Center, Cornell Health, etc. If you have any questions about pre-enrollment go ahead and schedule an appointment with an advisor using the Cornell Chatter System. Simply select the Brooks School’s Office of Enrollment and Student Services.

Who is my faculty mentor? When and how can I meet with my faculty mentor?

The Brooks School faculty mentors are currently on break and will return in August.  You will have an opportunity to meet your faculty mentor either during orientation or during the first week of classes.  Brooks Faculty Mentors (listed as faculty advisor in student center) are available to mentor you on your interests in the field of public policy and broader career directions, within the context of the Brooks School curriculum. This includes offering you career development advice within the scope of the mentor’s networks and expertise. Mentors can counsel you on opportunities to engage within and outside of the Brooks School across our programming.  Faculty mentors will pull from their research expertise and network to inform you of current areas of research and opportunities in the field, particularly with regards to independent study and honors programming.


If you have any questions, please contact the Brooks Office of Enrollment and Student Services.

Phone: 607-254-3451

Schedule an Advising Appointment 

Don’t forget to share your news!

Scan or click the QR code to download your digital swag.

QR code