Hyperloop technology has become one of the primary areas of interest for the Cornell Program in Infrastructure Policy. As quoted in the February 12, 2020 edition of Smart Cities Dive, “How hyperloop could stand apart from existing transit modes”:
“My excitement about the hyperloop really stems from the fact that I view it as a new mode of transportation. And transportation, if you stop and think about it, has not really had a new mode since the Wright brothers in 1904.”
– Rick Geddes, CPIP Academic Director
Hyperloop Advanced Research Project (HARP)
In 2017, Professor Geddes and other academics formed the Hyperloop Advanced Research Partnership (HARP) to act as a clearinghouse of Hyperloop public domain reports and data. Dr. Geddes remains on the Board of Trustees for the partnership.
In December, 2020, HARP launched its first book, “Hyperloop – The Future of High Speed”. Dr. Geddes wrote Chapter 6: “The Funding and Financing of a Hyperloop Network”. Copies are being sold via Amazon.
CPIP in the Media on Hyperloop:
- Hyperloop momentum has stalled. Here are the challenges facing the high-speed tech. By Kalena Thomhave, Smart Cities Dive, Jan. 5, 2023
- “Branson Beats Musk in Human Hyperloop Test”, Business Wars Daily Podcast, November 24, 2020, https://search.audioburst.com/burst/lRK81WrlOxl7/Branson-Beats-Musk-in-Human-Hyperloop-Test?listBy=related?listBy=related.
- Cuthbertson, Anthony, “Hyperloop: What is Elon Musk’s vision for vacuum tube transport – and will it really happen”, Independent, September 11, 2020, https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/hyperloop-what-is-elon-musk-s-vision-for-vacuum-tube-transport-and-will-it-actually-happen/ar-BB1aPVUZ?MSCC=1604738955.
- Teale, Chris, “How hyperloop could stand apart from existing transit modes”, Smart Cities Dive, February 12, 2020, (https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news/hyperloop-public-transit-financing-regulation/571942/).
- Oldcorn, Christopher, “Are Hyperloops Good Investment?”, Data Driven Investor, October 16, 2019, https://medium.com/datadriveninvestor/are-hyperloops-good-investment-32281ebc58ae.
- Thomas, Mike, “Hyperloop: An Overview of the Futuristic Form of Transportation”, Built-In, September 19, 2019, https://builtin.com/transportation-tech/what-is-hyperloop.
- Gordon, Aaron, “’There’s No Such Thing As Cold, Hard Reality’: Meet The Hyperloop’s Truest Believers”, Jalopnik, September 9, 2019, https://jalopnik.com/theres-no-such-thing-as-cold-hard-reality-meet-the-hy-1837979096.
- Geddes, Richard (video), “Finance and Funding Models for Hyperloop”, Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics, August 30, 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiCZ7gxk8u4.